[arin-ppml] Updated text for ARIN 2014-16: Section 4.10 Austerity Policy Update

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Fri Sep 19 12:23:10 EDT 2014

On 9/19/2014 7:51 AM, Dale W. Carder wrote:
> Thus spake Andrew Dul (andrew.dul at quark.net) on Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 07:29:03PM -0700:
>> Thanks for your input,  would you otherwise support the policy if we
>> retained the existing /10 reservation for 4.10.2?
> I have a hard time supporting any efforts to rearrange the v4 deck chairs.
> Yes, some organizations won't be able to get v4 space, or at least not
> easily.  That is because there isn't any.  We need to move on.  If one
> is starting from scratch now, they are going to get burned by definition.
>
> One thing I would like to hear more about is boot-strap issue with transfers?
> I guess I don't fully understand that problem space.

Dale, I invite you to review the presentation from ARIN staff about this
issue which encouraged the conversation about this issue at the Chicago
meeting and ended up with a small group of us creating this draft policy
to address the issue.

https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_33/PDF/monday/nobile_policy.pdf

The basic issue is that under the current transfer policy you have to
qualify for address space under existing v4 policies to be able to do a
transfer.  The existing v4 policies require an ISP to have address space
from another entity to be able to receive an allocation from ARIN.
Thus, after run-out there may not be a way for some organizations to get
into transfer market.

Other draft policies have been put forward to address this issue in
different ways, those include ARIN-2014-13, ARIN-2014-14, &
ARIN-2014-18, ARIN-2014-20

Hope this helps,
Andrew