[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-18: Simplifying Minimum Allocations and Assignments

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Sep 4 09:03:08 EDT 2014

On Sep 4, 2014, at 3:35 PM, Bill Owens <owens at nysernet.org> wrote:

> Please forgive my ignorance of the details of the policy development process, but based on what I can see from looking at the timelines for other proposals on the ARIN website, it doesn't appear to me that this policy has any time left to be relevant. It appears that the proposal would need to be given a fast track in order to even be approved before the likely runout of the available IPv4 pool, much less implemented.

Bill -

  As the present time, approvals of transfers also require assessment
  against the same criteria that is used for issuance (only extended
  to 24 months of need), so the assignment/allocation policies may
  still have relevance even after regional IPv4 free pool runout.

  I do not know how often this proposed policy would come into play
  in future transfer requests, but it is quite possible it would be
  germane in some cases.

FYI,
/John

John Curran