[arin-ppml] 2014-1 Out of Region Use

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:00:20 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

[ clip ]

>> resources stating that this is a no op as well:  already using numbers in
>> other regions and even ARIN (Curran) chimed in and said that it wasn't
>> a problem.
>
> I think you're interpretation of the situation is WAY out of line with the reality. Staff wants to STOP out of region use, and is doing so de facto because of the ambiguities in the policy. Yes, lots of people are already using numbers in other regions but if you want to continue to do that with new requests we need to solidify the policy and make it clear that this is ok.

I don't think I took the discussion out of context at all. Both Matt
Petach and I stood up and said that we both use numbers out of region.
What's the big deal? John commented that it wasn't. If that's not
accurate, I'd be interested in your interpretation.

>> Anyone care to address the points, from a technical perspective, that
>> the LEO community raised as well?
>
> You mean LEAs (law enforcement agencies)? Did you read the comments? Those concerns were addressed:
>
> "The requirement to have a minimal level of resources deployed in the region (/44 for IPv6, /22 for IPv4, 1 ASN) is an attempt to respond to law enforcement and some community concerns. An absolute threshold ensures that those applying for ARIN resources are actually operating in the region and not simply a shell company, but it avoids the known pitfalls of trying to use percentages of the organization's overall holdings to do that."

How does this increase the "reasonable" source traceability of a resource?

>> I really wish the AC would get out of the regulatory business and into
>> the stewardship business. <hope>
>
> Marty, by opposing this policy you are encouraging and authorizing ARIN staff to restrict and regulate out of region use. You're the advocate of regulatory business here. Make your choice, but at least understand which side you are taking.

ARIN staff need to abide by the policies. The lack of a policy doesn't
mean that they can make one up. But I slightly agree since they
sometimes do.

Best,

-M<