[arin-ppml] ARIN IPs and Spammers? => Need for Governance

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Nov 11 00:08:58 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> I agree that ARIN should not be involved in enforcement, but
> one thing that ARIN (and the other RIR's) could do is make it
> easier for mail server operators to get *ALL* the blocks
> assigned to a given organization in one query. I find that
> "whois n w.x.y.z" often returns the same names as either
> the swip'd client, or the DC host. It would be much easier
> from my perspective use those names as input then block
> all of their space than it is to play wack-a-mole as each
> client cluster shows up.

IIRC, it's possible to get a bulk feed of whois and SWIP data from ARIN.
You can then build a private query engine against it which does as you
describe. As long as its an internal function (you're not directly
providing the data to third parties) and it's not used for spam or other
marketing activities, ARIN seems generally amenable to granting such
requests.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
May I solve your unusual networking challenges?