[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2014-2 Improving 8.4 Anti-Flip Language

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Mon May 5 17:12:50 EDT 2014

Bill Herrin wrote:

> What do you suggest as the next step?
[snip]
> From my point of view, the original language works as desired.

Are you sure? I typed out an entire simplistic gaming technique so that speculators and flippers can easily achieve their goals in the existing language. I backspaced it from this reply so I didn't teach those folks, even though it's my most powerful argument: that the existing language is no-op for anyone who puts a few minutes of thought into getting around it.

At the same time, the existing language is restricting global network operators from moving blocks to different RIRs for various reasons, including geolocation and tax purposes.

What do I suggest? I suggest we scrap the section altogether, as it affords the community no meaningful protection against those who wish to game it, and it impedes proper administration for global network operators.