[arin-ppml] Ip allocation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun May 4 12:21:17 EDT 2014

On May 4, 2014, at 10:40 AM, james duncan <james.duncan20 at yahoo.com<mailto:james.duncan20 at yahoo.com>> wrote:

Hello Derek and German,

In the final stage, even if we have ARIN’s policy, still, there’s unfairness in terms of locating the IP addresses. These are some of my thoughts, that I would like to share with all of you and hoping that we can bring people’s attention to this issue.
The IPV4 review team of ARIN obviously have different interpretations of the policy. For some cases, the review is all extremely strict; while on the other hand, some other cases, the review is very loose. And these applications actually don’t have a whole of differences.

James -

As it turns out, the same criteria apply to all requests, but it is true that some parties
are more experienced with the policy and the processes for supplying providing the
supporting materials.

In fact, there’s a mole or more moles inside the ARIN IPv4 review team, who cut some slacks for his or her associate applicants during the application review process, and granted them IP addresses or more. While for the applicants he or she don’t know personally, no matter how reasonable your application material, your ground for need of IP addresses are, they just won’t approve your application and grant you nothing but a big refusal. By doing this, this mole( or these moles) stocks these IP addresses by manipulating the policy and then plans to profit from it by selling the precious IP addresses to the market one year later.

Interesting theory - note that all requests are subject to appeal (which is personally
reviewed by me) and further there is the opportunity for third-party arbitration if you
feel that the policy was incorrectly applied to your situation...
<https://www.arin.net/resources/resource_requests/appeal_process.html>
Care to explain how that did not work for your reasonable resource request?

Gven the second issue that you raise (possibility of a mole on the ARIN staff), I would
be happy to investigate, but if you'd prefer someone outside of the the staff, you also
have the option of supplying the relevant details to the ARIN Board of Trustees
<arin-board at arin.net<mailto:arin-board at arin.net>>, and I am certain that they would also take the issue quite
seriously.

I know John Curran would definitely stand up and defend their team.  Well, try to spend some time on ethic education on the review team, less time defending.

No point in defending - in fact, the only thing to be done is to perform a proper
investigation.  Please avail yourself of either of the options provided above so
that we may do so.  We do have a very strict ethics and conflict policy; have done
training in same, but none of that provides 100% assurance and hence my
request for your help.

Now there’s only 0.99 /8 IP addresses left. I know some people would think they can still apply if they really need it, but the truth is they are “pre-ordered” under ARIN’s inside arrangement. Funny thing is that every single time when anyone questions how they review applicants or they way they review, ARIN can always get away using NDA.

"Pre-ordered" is an amazing concept, given that we neither know who is going to
request next, nor whether they will be approved.  As the person who handles the
appeals, I can state that those folks who seek appeal certainly don't know the result,
since I don't know it until I've reviewed the request and our processing against the
community-developed policy in laborious detail.  If there is a secret "pre-order"
queue, I've almost certainty disappointed some folks since it's certainly not
something I am aware (or nor part of appeal review process.)

Each quarter, ARIN issues a fraud report to show the public that they’ve done this and that to prevent fraud, and not a single time have they ever disclosed any fraud incident. Either they’ve really done an “amazing” job to prevent fraud or this so-called fraud report is auto-generated just for show, and no serious effort was ever made in terms of preventing or investigating fraud.

The vast majority of reports that we receive are allegations of misuse of address
space (e.g. spamming); there is no policy prohibition against using IP addresses
for bulk unsolicited commercial email, so those reports are generally non-actionable.
We do followup on each report, and have detected resource hijacking and reverted
the changes when appropriate.  ( You can see all of the reports here:
<https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/results/>)

If you believe that ARIN is improperly, I actively encourage you to bring the details
to my attention _or_ the ARIN Board of Trustees - you can find all of their email
addresses here: <https://www.arin.net/about_us/bot.html>

Thanks!
/John

John Curran