[arin-ppml] Policy discussion - Method of calculating utilization

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri May 2 22:05:06 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Brett Frankenberger
<rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com> wrote:
> Why is it not OK to get more space when you have an unused /21 that
> is not adjacent to your other space, but it's OK to get more space if
> you have an unused /21 hidden inside a /16?

> I support the proposal.

You assert both should be OK.   I assert neither should be OK,
favoring the more rigorous justification criterion as better
stewardship.

And whether each individual allocation has to be utilized or not, the
calculation method, is inherently entangled with the utilization
criterion.

It may be more work (more required renumbering or greater cost / more
local router entries required)  to efficiently utilize the /21 hidden
inside the /16,   in case this is not a contiguous  /21,   but a
fragmented group of a few hundred /28s and /27s  spread around the
entire  /16  due to  lots of number releases over time, or an
ineffective allocation plan.

--
-JH