[arin-ppml] Adding Enforcement mandate language

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri May 2 13:04:53 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Michael Peddemors
<michael at linuxmagic.com> wrote:
> For the thread (subject changed) here is what you mean?

no, that's just preamble.

> From the Afrinic.net website..
>
> "9.5 Validity of an assignment Assignments remain valid as long as the
> original criteria on which the assignment was based are still in place and
> the assignment is registered in the AfriNIC whois database. An assignment is
> therefore invalid if it is not registered in the database and if the purpose
> for which it was registered has changed or no longer holds. "
>
> I think that for the ARIN policy, language like that will be hard to bring
> in, but we have to do something..

"This proposal limits LIRs and End-Users from obtaining reverse
delegation (rDNS) from AFRINIC unless the address space is assigned or
sub-allocated in the AfriNIC Database."

In other words, no reverse DNS unless SWIP/rwhois.

I assume you want to improve the accuracy of the registry database
while giving ARIN the ability to enforce registration requirements,
correct?

This is one potential way to give the RIR a stick in which to enforce
the registration of assignments in the database.

> There has to be the correct balances of freedom of use, with identifying
> needs requirements..
>
> Right now, someone can get a /16, and make the call out, and he can fill
> that in 48 hours.. but the problem is identifying who is really using that
> 'rented' IP space, and whether that /16 being rented out to others, is that
> justification for more IP Space?
>
> The case can be made that 'speculators' can rent out IP Space to fill it up,
> so he can get more before it runs out.
>
> I think the move to lower the /20 will help in getting IP(s) to real end
> users, instead of 'speculators'..
>
> But we also need to give ARIN teeth do something about companies who aren't
> operating in accordance with guidelines..
>
> But I doubt you will get consensus to give ARIN the power to revoke,

Don't they already have the ability to revoke under clearly defined conditions?

--
Cheers,

McTim