[arin-ppml] Adding Enforcement mandate language

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Fri May 2 11:39:53 EDT 2014

For the thread (subject changed) here is what you mean?

 From the Afrinic.net website..

"9.5 Validity of an assignment Assignments remain valid as long as the
original criteria on which the assignment was based are still in place
and the assignment is registered in the AfriNIC whois database. An
assignment is therefore invalid if it is not registered in the database
and if the purpose for which it was registered has changed or no longer
holds. "

I think that for the ARIN policy, language like that will be hard to
bring in, but we have to do something..

There has to be the correct balances of freedom of use, with identifying
needs requirements..

Right now, someone can get a /16, and make the call out, and he can fill
that in 48 hours.. but the problem is identifying who is really using
that 'rented' IP space, and whether that /16 being rented out to others,
is that justification for more IP Space?

The case can be made that 'speculators' can rent out IP Space to fill it
up, so he can get more before it runs out.

I think the move to lower the /20 will help in getting IP(s) to real end
users, instead of 'speculators'..

But we also need to give ARIN teeth do something about companies who
aren't operating in accordance with guidelines..

But I doubt you will get consensus to give ARIN the power to revoke,
unless there is really clearly defined conditions, and even then there
will those concerned about the 'slippery slope'..

I think that for sure we need to prevent a company from getting more IP
space, or allowing transfers if their whole existing space isn't
compliant, but we do need more.

Maybe it is as simple as a pricing penalty?

IF they don't have accurate contact information on file, if they don't
have functioning correct 'rwhois' or SWIP for 'rented' IP space, then it
should cost more?

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."