[arin-ppml] Term Limit Proposal

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 19:12:17 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:21 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:19 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Azinger, Marla <Marla.Azinger at ftr.com> wrote:
>>> I think 6 years is too long. I would prefer to see one term contiguous
>>> limits with a 1-year-out waiting period.
>
> Just in case anyone missed the nuance, I see value in asking the
> engaged and hardworking volunteers on the AC to sit out once in a
> while, just long enough to regain perspective from the outside. I
> don't see why that need be for longer than until the next election. I
> also note that we haven't had so many qualified volunteers for the
> position that we can afford to have folks sit out for three years.
>

>>> I would NOT support this for the board. ARIN benefits from the board's
>>> continuity.
>>
>> If you really want change, term limit the Board and forget the AC.
>
> Change for change's sake is rarely for the better. Stability is
> usually a good thing. I don't see rotating out AC members having a
> negative impact on ARIN's overall stability. Frequent turnover on the
> board, however...

As far as term limits go, there are a multitude of organizations that
use them and suffer little from it including federal, state and
municipal governments, non profts like the Appalachian Mountain Club,
NANOG, and many others.

There are a variety of problems term limits may help with including
the self perpetuation concern, under representation (only a fraction
of resource holders are actually "represented" and stagnation (Gov
term limit task and PDP Simplification Committee). Term limits would
likely resolve or soften some worthwhile problems.

Why is ARIN different than all of these other venerable organizations?

Best

-M<