[arin-ppml] Term Limit Proposal

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 31 17:21:48 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:19 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Azinger, Marla <Marla.Azinger at ftr.com> wrote:
>> I think 6 years is too long. I would prefer to see one term contiguous
>> limits with a 1-year-out waiting period.

Just in case anyone missed the nuance, I see value in asking the
engaged and hardworking volunteers on the AC to sit out once in a
while, just long enough to regain perspective from the outside. I
don't see why that need be for longer than until the next election. I
also note that we haven't had so many qualified volunteers for the
position that we can afford to have folks sit out for three years.

>> I would NOT support this for the board. ARIN benefits from the board's
>> continuity.
>
> If you really want change, term limit the Board and forget the AC.

Change for change's sake is rarely for the better. Stability is
usually a good thing. I don't see rotating out AC members having a
negative impact on ARIN's overall stability. Frequent turnover on the
board, however...

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004