[arin-ppml] Initial IPv4 allocations to ISPs, NRPM section 4.2

CJ Aronson cja at daydream.com
Thu Mar 27 09:54:26 EDT 2014

I have been having a discussion with a member of the community about the
initial allocations to ISPs, NRPM section 4.2.  I thought quite a bit about
this last night and I would love your input.  It seems to me that we might
want to revamp this in light of IPv4 run out.  Does it make sense when the
ARIN free pool is exhausted?  I am sure some think that it does/doesn't
make sense now but since we're so close to run out let's look at whether it
still makes sense when the ARIN free pool is exhausted.

Thanks for your input!  If anyone wants to work with me to draft a new
version please let me know.

Thanks!
-----Cathy

Here is the text from the NRPM
https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four2
4.2. Allocations to ISPs (Requirements for Requesting Initial Address Space)
4.2.1. Principles
4.2.1.1. Purpose

ARIN allocates blocks of IP addresses to ISPs for the purpose of
reassigning that space to their customers.
4.2.1.2. Annual Renewal

An annual fee for registered space is due by the anniversary date of the
ISP's first allocation from ARIN. ISPs should take care to ensure that
their annual renewal payment is made by their anniversary due date in
accordance with the Registration Services Agreement. If not paid by the
anniversary date, the address space may be revoked. Please review the
Annual Renewal/Maintenance Fees Page for more details.
4.2.1.3. Utilization rate

Utilization rate of address space is a key factor, among others, in
determining address allocation.
4.2.1.4. Slow start

Because the number of available IP addresses on the Internet is limited,
many factors must be considered in the determination of address space
allocations. Therefore, IP address space is allocated to ISPs using a
slow-start model. Allocations are based on justified need, not solely on a
predicted customer base.
4.2.1.5. Minimum allocation

In general, ARIN allocates /20 and larger IP address prefixes to ISPs. If
allocations smaller than /20 are needed, ISPs should request address space
from their upstream provider. For multihomed ISPs, ARIN allocates /22 and
larger IP address prefixes. If allocations smaller than /22 are needed,
multihomed ISPs should request address space from their upstream provider.
4.2.1.6. Immediate need

If an ISP has an immediate need for address space, and can provide
justification to show that the address space will be utilized within 30
days of the request, ARIN may issue a block of address space, not larger
than a /16 nor smaller than ARIN's customary minimum allocation, to that
organization. These cases are exceptional.
4.2.2. Initial allocation to ISPs
4.2.2.1. Standard or non-multihomed

Organizations that do not meet the requirements described in the multihomed
section below (Section 4.2.2.2) must satisfy the following requirements:
4.2.2.1.1. Use of /20

The efficient utilization of an entire previously allocated /20 from their
upstream ISP. This /20 allocation may have been provided by an ISP's
upstream provider(s), and does not have to be contiguous address space. The
organization must meet the requirement of efficient use of 16 /24s. For
example, if an organization holds a smaller allocation, such as 12 /24s,
from its upstream provider, the organization would not meet the minimum
utilization requirements of a /20.
4.2.2.1.2. Efficient utilization

Demonstrate efficient use of IP address space allocations by providing
appropriate documentation, including assignment histories, showing their
efficient use. ISPs must provide reassignment information on the entire
previously allocated block(s) via SWIP or RWhois server for /29 or larger
blocks. For blocks smaller than /29 and for internal space, ISPs should
provide utilization data either via SWIP or RWhois server or by providing
detailed utilization information.
4.2.2.1.3. Three months

Provide detailed information showing specifically how a /20 will be
utilized within three months.
4.2.2.1.4. Renumber and return

ISPs receiving a new /20 may wish to renumber out of their previously
allocated space. In this case, an ISP must use the new /20 to renumber out
of that previously allocated block of address space and must return the
space to its upstream provider.
4.2.2.2. Multihomed

When prefixes are allocated which are smaller than /20, they will be from a
block reserved for that purpose. In order to receive an initial allocation
from ARIN, organizations applying under the multihomed policy must:

   - When requesting a /22, demonstrate the efficient utilization of a
   minimum contiguous or noncontiguous /23 (two /24s) from an upstream.
   - When requesting a /21, demonstrate the efficient utilization of a
   minimum contiguous or noncontiguous /22 (four /24s) from an upstream.
   - When requesting a /20, demonstrate the efficient utilization of a
   minimum contiguous or noncontiguous /21 (eight /24s) from an upstream.

4.2.2.2.1. Efficient utilization

Provide reassignment information for /29 and larger blocks using the Shared
Whois Project (SWIP) or by providing the same information fields in an
RWhois server. If additional address space is later requested, this
information must be available at the time of the request. Utilization for
blocks smaller than /29 can be documented via SWIP or RWhois server or by
providing detailed utilization information.
4.2.2.2.2. Three months

Provide information showing that the requested IP address space will be
utilized within three months and demonstrating an intent to announce the
requested space in a multihomed fashion.
4.2.2.2.3. Renumber and return

Agree that the newly requested IP address space will be used to renumber
out of the current addresses which will be returned to their upstream
provider(s).
4.2.2.2.4. Additional requests following the initial allocation

To receive additional address space following the initial allocation,
multihomed organizations must have returned the original IP address space
to its provider in its entirety and must provide justification for a new
allocation as described above in the section titled Requirements for
Requesting Initial Address Space.