[arin-ppml] [arin-discuss] Term Limit Proposal

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 27 02:37:05 EDT 2014

On Mar 27, 2014, at 2:06 PM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thank you for your speedy and helpful reply.
>
> I will note you close your email with the implication that a desire by the participants of ARIN's public fora to alter the Board's bylaws is not a policy development activity.

That is correct - The ARIN PDP is the process by which policies (for the
management of Internet number resources in the ARIN region) are developed
by the community.

> If that is true - if a policy proposal conducted under the auspices of PDP to change the bylaws is out of scope of the PDP (did you imply that?)

I don't imply it - it has always been the case, and is quite specific in
the PDP and role of the AC - <https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html>

> - then by what mechanism can the public:
> - bring to light an idea for bylaws change;
> - discuss it;

You are doing those items above presently on the public policy mailing list.

> - attempt to substantively judge consensus of the proposed change; and
> - upon judging consensus exists, affect disposition of the change?

The above two points intersect the responsibilities of the ARIN Board of Trustees;
discussion is encouraged both online and at the open microphone forum at the ARIN
meetings, but the Board must consider all related aspects (including risk involved
and fiduciary duty) when it comes to making such decisions. The ARIN Board has
delegated (nearly completely) number resource policy development to the entire
community, but the same does not apply to their fiduciary duties in general.

The good news is, the Board is elected by the community, so folks who wish s
to serve in that capacity can run and be elected for that purpose.  This is
called "representation" and is a very common structure among associations.

> In other words, surely the public, speaking with consensus, can change the Bylaws of the Board without relying on the elected Board members themselves to effect this change, yes?

You probably mean "members" (as opposed to "public") but in either case that
is not a capability under ARIN's Bylaws today.  That is is not to say it could
not be added in the future if desired (for example, ARIN originally didn't have
members or an elected Board; these were added once the organization achieved
the appropriate level of operational stability and community support.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO