[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 21 12:58:15 EDT 2014

On Mar 20, 2014, at 23:04 , Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> On 3/20/2014 3:11 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I think fear mongering about the “usefulness of the registry” by those that seek to eliminate all policy enforcement in the registry should be seen for what it is and that we as a community must make a decision whether we want to have reasonable policies and a culture of cooperation, or, abandon that culture which has worked thus far and allow the regulatory chips to fall where they may when it becomes obvious that we are unwilling to attempt to regulate ourselves.
>
> I don't see a *documented* 40% abandon rate on 8.2 transfer requests as "fear mongering". I strongly suspect that every single one of those abandoned requests is a case where a M&A *actually happened* and yet, because it was abandoned, the registry no longer accurately reflects that M&A activity. (I really can't imagine anyone who would simply, for entertainment value, file 8.2 M&A transfer requests when no M&A has occurred.)

No, but I can imagine lots of people trying to structure an 8.3 transfer to look like an M&A and abandoning the 8.2 request when that fails.

> The longer this abandon rate stays high, the more incorrect entries in the registry will accumulate. Not "fear mongering", just fact.

Nothing has been presented as yet to indicate that taking this provision out of 8.2 would actually reduce the abandon rate of 8.2 transfers.

> The original author of the draft policy claims to have personal experience that suggests that one of the reasons these are getting abandoned is the language he seeks to remove. I guess I'd like to hear evidence that shows that the abandoned requests are getting abandoned entirely for some other reason before opposing this proposal. Until then, I support it.

Unfortunately, the author had access to information not available to the community at large as a result of his former position at ARIN and we have no way to independently verify or validate his claims, nor do we have any way to gain access to any contradictory information that may or may not exist in the same realm.

I'm not accusing the author of anything and I have always had tremendous respect for Mr. Huberman. As he mentioned in an earlier post, we consider each other friends. However, what you are asking for here is nearly impossible to deliver and I will say that Mr. Huberman's perspective, while informed by his experience, may not be entirely objective.

Owen