[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Mar 21 02:04:16 EDT 2014

On 3/20/2014 3:11 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I think fear mongering about the “usefulness of the registry” by those
> that seek to eliminate all policy enforcement in the registry should
> be seen for what it is and that we as a community must make a decision
> whether we want to have reasonable policies and a culture of
> cooperation, or, abandon that culture which has worked thus far and
> allow the regulatory chips to fall where they may when it becomes
> obvious that we are unwilling to attempt to regulate ourselves.

I don't see a *documented* 40% abandon rate on 8.2 transfer requests as
"fear mongering". I strongly suspect that every single one of those
abandoned requests is a case where a M&A *actually happened* and yet,
because it was abandoned, the registry no longer accurately reflects
that M&A activity. (I really can't imagine anyone who would simply, for
entertainment value, file 8.2 M&A transfer requests when no M&A has
occurred.)

The longer this abandon rate stays high, the more incorrect entries in
the registry will accumulate. Not "fear mongering", just fact.

The original author of the draft policy claims to have personal
experience that suggests that one of the reasons these are getting
abandoned is the language he seeks to remove. I guess I'd like to hear
evidence that shows that the abandoned requests are getting abandoned
entirely for some other reason before opposing this proposal. Until
then, I support it.

Matthew Kaufman