[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 12 11:22:44 EDT 2014

On Jun 12, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
> Same thing with zombie corporations, the existence of which are driven by the needs test. Spammers don't buy zombie corporations, because they know they will damage the only asset. Instead they hijack or lease, two completely separate issues, neither of which is addressed by a current policy proposal.

Mike -

  You assert that spammers don't buy zombie corporations, but it comes down to
  simple economics, and the availability of a large clean address block can
  easily generate enough revenue over its short-lifespan to make it worth
  purchasing.  Remember, we already see quite a bit of investment going on
  to enable successful hijacking, including shell companies, law firms,
  storefronts, etc.; my point is only that the needs-based test does raise
  the bar for some who would otherwise go the market but have no intent of
  following community expectations...   The reason they want resources to be
  registered in their asserted name is because its makes it faster to put in
  use and slower to block when abused.

FYI,
/John

John Curran