[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Wed Jun 4 22:50:45 EDT 2014

> We're going to be a cross-roads very soon.  ARIN is going to exhaust,
> and network operators will be unable to obtain additional IPv4 address
> blocks from ARIN.  At that point, the most obvious solution for IPv4
> needs will be the market.

Discounting the other obvious solutions of IPv6, IPv6, or even IPv6. :)

> Proper stewardship of the ARIN function demands that ARIN policy
> adjust to what happens in the market.  It's not the other way around,
> if only because that's not how markets work.

If, and only if, one redefines ARIN's function as *only* bookkeeping.

> The ARIN CEO, ARIN's General Counsel, the Harvard economist ARIN pays,
> professors who study markets, brokers who operate in the market, and
> buyers and sellers who buy and sell in the market have all told the
> ARIN community the same story for around 5 years now: the market is
> going to act as a market, and ARIN policy needs to be ready for it;
> ARIN policy needs to make sense with the dynamics of the market.

In addition to internet number resources, there are also 'markets' in
drugs, stolen cars, ivory, endangered species, and human slaves.

The fact that a 'market' exists does not, in and of itself, imply that
policies should be adjusted so that the market can function more
efficiently.

There seems to be a hidden assumption here that number resources with
incorrect registration are "as good as" those with accurate
registration, and thus all that is being requested is that the db be
cleaned up.  If that were actually the case, then I doubt we would be
having this discussion.

If there is a benefit to accurate registration through legitimization of
this market on an unlimited scale, that outweighs the negative impacts
of hoarding, speculation, and IPv6 denial, then I haven't seen it yet.
I am, however, open to being convinced.

> It's hard to know how to argue with operators like Owen and the Google
> folks who all say the opposite; that ARIN policy should stick to the
> same ideals as 1995 (important ideals for a very long time!) and not
> adjust.
> I fear the results of this kind of ostracism :(

"Ostracism" would be ignoring your statements - instead of discussing
them actively.

-DMM