[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Jun 4 21:07:36 EDT 2014

On 6/4/14, 4:25 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Matthew Kaufman
>>
>> ps. I'd also note that "policy that expresses the general intent of the community" may in fact *be* policy that lets post-runout transfers be performed without a needs test, as "the community" consists of a lot more than "Owen”.
> Indeed, it does. However, many people have also repeatedly stood up in defense of needs basis, so singling me out as if I am the lone supporter of preserving needs basis is as specious as many of your other arguments.

Wasn't to single you out, but was meant to call attention to an argument
that says "in addition to it being how I feel, that's what the community
wants [as proven by the existence of current policy]" But we should be
clear... the policy as written in the PPML today may or may not be
"policy that expresses the general intent of the community".

In fact, I would argue that it isn't.

For starters, most of "the community" isn't participating in the PDP at all.

And secondly, for a policy that the community likes, we sure have a lot
of fairly significant changes queued up.

In summary, I don't think it is appropriate to back up any argument for
or against a policy change with "but that's what the current policy
says, therefore everyone else already agrees with me".

Matthew Kaufman