[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Wed Jun 4 20:56:25 EDT 2014

> up, I can shockingly say "I agree with Owen".
>
> See the PPC transcript for what I and my colleagues had to say about
> the proposal, which was amusingly based on an utterly false problem
> statement.
>
> If we need to streamline the needs evaluation, that's a different
> kettle of fish. Throwing it out is a mistake.

Hi Joe,

We are not throwing out the needs test. We are seeking reasonable compromise
in limiting the application of that needs test by imposing size and time
restrictions which hopefully will reduce compliance-avoidance behavior while
at the same time improving access to space for small companies. Because the
transfer is policy is written to reference the allocation policies which
apply to free pool addresses, any streamlining of the needs evaluation such
as you suggest will require substantial change to the NRPM, whereas the
proposed change includes the insertion of one clause into 8.3 and 8.4.

Regards,
Mike Burns