[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-12: Anti-hijack Policy

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Jun 2 10:26:55 EDT 2014

I will respectfully disagree.  What is the point of "should"?  Even in the example you gave it would better as "must unless" or "shall unless"  instead of "should unless" .  With "should" there is no reason for the unless because there is no requirement to do otherwise in the first place.
Should leaves a loophole that can be easily exploited, i.e. "you never said we had to do that, you just said we should, so I can technically do whatever I want"..
It would be perfectly functional to say:
"The allocation size shall be consistent with the existing ARIN minimum
    allocation sizes, unless small allocations are intended to be explicitly part
    of the experiment."
Using "should" in the statement makes it a no-op.  With "should" you can choose not to follow what is only a suggestion. If you use "shall" or "must" you have enforceable policy. If the policy is not enforceable it is nothing more than a best practice statement at best.
Kevin