[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-17: Change Utilization Requirements from last-allocation to total-aggregate - revised

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Thu Jul 17 11:05:58 EDT 2014

On 14-07-17 03:56 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Do you have suggestions on how this issue could be addressed without making it overly difficult to qualify for address space in general?

No, I am putting thought into it, but no magic bullets yet.. just think
this isn't the one..

>> With diminishing IP Space, if there was some way to set standards on what usage qualifies on 80% usage, I could get behind it.
>
> To be clear, the current policy is also 80%. The difference is that current policy requires 80% of your last block and "efficient utilization" of all other blocks (which is vaguely or not at all defined).
>
> The proposed policy is to change that to 80% of all blocks in aggregate.

Totally understood of course.. I believe this will make it easier to
abuse the system.  IMHO

> I think it will have exactly the opposite effect, actually. I think it lowers the barrier for smaller entities and new entrants while keeping roughly the same effective requirements for larger incumbents.

Maybe if you can show how the barriers are reduced for smaller entities
and new entrants, vs how they will be affected if the larger entities
are enabled to get the remaining space faster?

>> I think we need another idea to come up..
>
> Such as?

Hopefully the question will be answered, and the quicker we move on,
maybe the quicker that will be answered.

> Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are a number of smaller organizations that are really suffering from the current situation and this proposal would be a huge help to them. If you've got an alternative solution, then by all means, let's hear it. Otherwise, I think moving this one forward does more good than harm.

Okay, please show how this is the case?

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."