[arin-ppml] NRPM Policies 4.6 and 4.7 Suspended by ARIN Board

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:19:54 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote:

>  On 21-Jan-14 21:38, Jimmy Hess wrote:  Note that, from what I've been
> told, ARIN staff policy is to approve ALL requests unless there is a
> specific section of the NPRM that clearly says they can't.  They do not
> feel they have the discretion to deny a request simply because granting it
> would be a Bad Idea(tm).

Well,  4.6.1  is specifically restrictive...    "Transactions should only
be accepted under this policy if they are in the interests of the community"
The fact is, there can be attempts at abuse or misuse outside the intent of
any of the rules,  that are meant for a constructive purpose.

Another example of an abuse, would be an organization making frequent
allocation, return, reorganize, and transfer  requests,  in order to churn
IP addresses as quickly as possible:  to  get fresh batches of
non-blacklisted IPs to send spam from.

There is no way to write a rule that will differentiate between legitimate
reorganizations ---  and transfer/return/renumber/reallocate of resources,
to facilitate ongoing abuse.

ARIN staff may be uncomfortable  with the concept of applying discretion,
but there will inevitably be situations where policy and the best interests
of the community could be seriously harmed by lack of discretion being
applied where appropriate.

--
-JH