[arin-ppml] NRPM Policies 4.6 and 4.7 Suspended by ARIN Board

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 22:38:12 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:55 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> 2)  The issue is that theoretically any organization with multiple
> blocks could come in and
>       ask for a single block as large as the sum of all the previously
> issue blocks.  At this time,
>       given the space that has been issued to date, such a request could
> be larger than the
>       entire remaining IPv4 free pool in the worst case, and while we
> would theoretically get
>       back the existing blocks as they renumber out of them, that could be
> a lengthy process
>       (and would ikely still be significantly smaller than what we issued
> them)

Ok... that makes sense,  thank you.

I would expect ARIN to refuse the transaction in that case.
4.6.1 does say   rather clearly  about   aggregation and returns :
"Transactions
should only be accepted under this policy if they are in the interests of
the community"

Clearly any transaction that could be at any risk of impairing ARIN's
ability to allocate addresses in the near future, would not be in the
interests of the community.  ARIN should choose to decline in that case,
 or continue to work with the holder of address resources,  to select an
alternative not  requiring ARIN allocate too large of a block.

If the blocks are already short prefixes, or will be too short a prefix,
then the aggregation benefit can be outweighed..

Also,  renumbering such a large block should be very painful for an ISP:  I
am not sure, under what circumstances  a request such as that would
actually be likely.

--
-JH