[arin-ppml] NRPM Policies 4.6 and 4.7 Suspended by ARIN Board

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jan 21 21:55:58 EST 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 3:48 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com<mailto:mysidia at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net<mailto:info at arin.net>> wrote:

Does anyone have the rationale for  the sudden removal of 4.6 and 4.7?

There doesn't appear to have been any policy discussion surrounding them,  so the action to suspend appears to be surprising, unwarranted,  and contrary to the last known public consensus surrounding the addition of those policies. \\

Jimmy -

Two relevant points -

1) These policies have been very sparingly used, and not at all used in recent years (we
     haven't approved an amnesty request from 2004 on.  We last approved an aggregation
     request in 2008 - 4 aggregation requests in 2008, 2 in 2007, and one each in 2006 and
     2005.)

2)  The issue is that theoretically any organization with multiple blocks could come in and
      ask for a single block as large as the sum of all the previously issue blocks.  At this time,
      given the space that has been issued to date, such a request could be larger than the
      entire remaining IPv4 free pool in the worst case, and while we would theoretically get
      back the existing blocks as they renumber out of them, that could be a lengthy process
      (and would ikely still be significantly smaller than what we issued them)

Per ARIN's Policy Development Process, the ARIN Board of Trustees has the authority to
suspend policy and ask for an ARIN AC recommendation if it receives credible information
that a policy is flawed in such a way that it may cause significant problems if it continues to
be followed.  I supplied the above information to the ARIN Board with full belief that the
policy poses the risk of significant problems (contrary to the community's intent and desire
for these policies) if it remained in force and was exercised at the present time by any of the
larger service providers in the region.  If the folks feel that such use is appropriate (i.e. a large
provider requesting the remainder of the ARIN IPv4 free pool to renumber into and thus improve
routing aggregation by a handful of entries), then that should be discussed when the ARIN AC
sends its recommendation to the PPML mailing list.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO