[arin-ppml] 2014-2 8.4 Anti-flip Language

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 20:56:27 EST 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com
> wrote:

>  This is an example of how policies penalize legitimate organizations
> needing to do legitimate transfers.  In my opinion the Polices have swung
> so far towards preventing abuse they impact legitimate transfers.  In the
> publicly traded company world, each quarter is like a year and a year is
> like 4 years to them since they have to publish their quarterly results 4
> times a year.  For them a year is an eternity.

I would say that the new policies such as the 8.3 specified transfer and
inter-RIR transfer policies  are ENABLING resource holders.

ARIN is not required to allow such transfers;  historically,  they were not
allowed, but the community has decided that in some cases,  it makes sense
to allow transfers to specified recipients or between RIRs.    In cases
that are not allowed;  returning and applying for more resources is always
an option,   so  organizations are not being penalized.      Some
organizations may be  better enabled by new policies than others, and
that's okay.

While not all conceivable legitimate uses will be enabled by the specified
transfer policy and its abuse protections;  It is more important to
 prevent  potential abuses or possible flipping,  than to enable all
conceivable uses of resource transfer  that would be deemed legitimate.

I believe:  wait for 12 months,  or apply for the additional resources in
the proper region are appropriate answers,  and this example doesn't
 revise  relaxing  protections against abuse  that come  with the  new
policies that enable  resource transfers.

--
-JH