[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResource Holders

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Feb 17 11:55:50 EST 2014

On Feb 17, 2014, at 11:17 AM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

>> Are you saying that the RIRs should not be establishing any policy
>> on legacy address holders?
>
> No. I'm saying any registry policy must not damage the accuracy of the registration database.  The registration database is NOT a weapon to be used by ARIN (or other RIRs) at their discretion. It is a global cooperative construct used by network operators and others for operational purposes beyond the limited scope of ARIN's (or other RIR's) particular needs.
> In this light, registering a transfer
> - to a non-existent entity DOES NOT improve/maintain accuracy, hence no.
> - of a single /32 DOES improve/maintain accuracy, hence yes.

David -

  The above is helpful in understanding your position.  I would presume
  that there is no other constraints that you believe are valid for the
  recipient of a transfer?  (e.g. valid contact information, actual legal
  existence as opposed to someone's pet cat, some form of membership or
  service agreement with the registry?)

>> Or is it that RIRs should only be making allocation policy, and not
>> be placing any policy constraints (or only the minimal necessary
>> constraints) in the case of transfers?
>
> Once more with feeling: this isn't about policy (transfer or otherwise).  It is about registration database accuracy.

  The conundrum being that it is today possible (as has been throughout RIR
  system history) to have policy that inhibits "accuracy" (as you use make
  use of the term); examples include the requirement for the recipient to be
  a member of a registry (APNIC), minimum transfer sizes (LACNIC, ARIN), etc.

  Your particular perspective of how this "should" work might make a good
  framework for a globally coordinated registry update policy; effectively
  stating that address holders may make updates to their number resource
  registrations, including subdivision thereof to multiple parties, to any
  new assignee/recipient without restriction.  I do not know how such a
  policy would fare in each of the regions, but it would at least reflect
  how you believe that the registry system should work in the present age.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO