[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResource Holders

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 13 16:51:14 EST 2014

On Feb 12, 2014, at 5:43 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> John,
>
> On Feb 12, 2014, at 1:13 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>> "The importance of maintaining accurate records in the ARIN database is recognized as ARIN's principal task."
>> Alas, your very clear formulation won't be very informative,
>> since the registry is accurate even after a denied transfer
>
> You appear to be assuming that if ARIN denies the transfer, the transfer doesn't occur.
>
> Do you really believe that?

By definition, that is true as far as the transfer of the registration.

However, I believe at this point you and John are talking about two different things.

You are talking about the transfer of the use of the numbers as IP addresses routed on the internet.

John is talking about the transfer of the registration of the addresses within the RIR system.

Yes, the two can happen independently of one another.

You are arguing (if I understand correctly) that when the transfer of usage occurs without the transfer of registration, that is a bad thing and you believe that there should be no limits on the transfer of registration in order to prevent this dichotomy from developing.

I don’t happen to agree with your position. As noted in earlier threads, transfers of the use of number resources which occur contrary to registry party are unable to be registered.

Owen