[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to LegacyInternetResourceHolders

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 13 19:11:21 EST 2014

On Feb 13, 2014, at 4:49 PM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:

> I understand your concern and even share it to a point but we need to deal with real life, and real life is that it is pretty unlikely to get all of the original /8 and other large block legacy holders to sign contracts with ARIN (not to mention the small legacy block holders).
>
> Do you really think that ALL of the AT&Ts & Verizons and Fords - not to mention the DOD - and all of the other fortune 1000 companies that hold large legacy blocks are going to sign agreements.

There's no reason for them to enter into an agreement with ARIN unless
they wish to, either to support their share of the costs or to gain the
benefit of having a defined contractual relationship.

And you should note that quite a bit of that address space is effectively
coming into the system as the result of transfers per NRPM 8.3, and that
includes increasingly pieces from /8 blocks.   Transfer statistics are
available here: <https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/transfers.html>

> No one can force them to and no one should try and force them.

ARIN doesn't.  We require compliance with the community policies if they
wish to transfer their block, but otherwise they continue to receive the
existing services relatively undisturbed.

> This goes for the thousands of organizations that got Class C blocks as well.  Real life is that they all exist and ARIN has no direct legal authority over them.

Steve - ARIN has all of the authority it needs with respect to the address
blocks in question, as they are simply entries in the registry; a registry
which we were formed to administer according to community-developed policy.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO