[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResourceHolders

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 13 18:00:29 EST 2014

On Feb 13, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Morizot Timothy S <Timothy.S.Morizot at irs.gov> wrote:

> Interesting. So you believe it's in the interest of those of us who have signed RSAs and LRSAs to subsidize (through our annual fees) those who want free registry services even though they refuse to adhere to the number resource policy in our region. That policy, in part, requires that the recipient of a legacy resource transfer, who  by definition cannot be a legacy allocation recipient, sign an RSA and contribute toward the cost of providing those registry services.
>
> That's an interesting perspective, but I'm not sure I agree. ARIN can't really control use and advertisement of resources, but if someone who isn't a pre-ARIN legacy recipient expects to receive registry services, I'm okay with requiring them to sign an RSA and pay for those services.

Just FYI - the ARIN Board of Trustees has consistently indicated that ARIN should
provide the same basic services to legacy resource holders without charge, so that
they may make use of the number resources with minimal effort.   We do encourage
them to enter into an LRSA both to share in costs and receive clear contractual
rights, but there is no obligation for them to do in order to continue to receive
registry systems (and this is similar to the RIPE 605 section re "No Relationship")

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN