[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResourceHolders

Morizot Timothy S Timothy.S.Morizot at irs.gov
Thu Feb 13 17:24:07 EST 2014

Steven L Ryerse wrote:
>I think that the new RIPE policy is acknowledging this reality and I think ARIN adopting
>the same identical policy makes sense because it would allow the coming together of
>Legacy holders and ARIN allocations holders which I think is in everyone's interest.
>
>Note that I would expect ARIN to be able to request and receive proof of a
>completed transaction before they update their database with the new information.

Interesting. So you believe it's in the interest of those of us who have signed RSAs and LRSAs to subsidize (through our annual fees) those who want free registry services even though they refuse to adhere to the number resource policy in our region. That policy, in part, requires that the recipient of a legacy resource transfer, who  by definition cannot be a legacy allocation recipient, sign an RSA and contribute toward the cost of providing those registry services.

That's an interesting perspective, but I'm not sure I agree. ARIN can't really control use and advertisement of resources, but if someone who isn't a pre-ARIN legacy recipient expects to receive registry services, I'm okay with requiring them to sign an RSA and pay for those services.

Scott