[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResource Holders

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Feb 11 12:10:59 EST 2014

Chris,

On Feb 10, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, the RIRs, and ARIN in particular, were not created to "promote the Internet" necessarily (although I do find that a laudable cause)

True.

> - their primary purpose is to _support the Internet_ by acting as stewards of the Internet numbers in their region (something that should be remembered in any argument about needs testing). ;-)

Not really.  RFC 1366, section 2.0:

     "The major reason to distribute the registration function is that the
   Internet serves a more diverse global population than it did at its
   inception.  This means that registries which are located in distinct
   geographic areas may be better able to serve the local community in
   terms of language and local customs."

The primary role was service to the community in language/culture. Being a "steward" of the address space (whatever that means) was a (much) later addition that I don't believe is universal across all RIRs.

IMHO, RIPE got it exactly right (from the abstract of RIPE-605):

"The importance of maintaining accurate records in the RIPE database is recognised as the NCC's principal task. "

(well, ok, they spelled recognized wrong :))

Needs testing, in and of itself, is not the issue.  What is at issue is what ARIN does when a transfer occurs (and they have, do, and will occur) outside of "justified" need.  As a _registry_, I believe ARIN's role (as with IANA and all other RIRs) is to maintain accurate records.

Regards,
-drc