[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 19:05:16 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> Personally, I think we have to clarify out of region use before we can come
> to any rational policy discussion that deals with the issue staff has
> raised.  Again, hence the problem statement put forward.

And due to that inability to come to any clear (to me) consensus
on whether more than incidental out-of-region use is acceptable
is the reason I feel that I have to oppose 2014-1 as written, as it
codifies in policy what is not clear (to me) is anywhere near a
consensus in the community.

In practice, I think that means that the current use of ARIN
as a RIR of last resort will continue by some.  That is also
a bad result.

I believe I have stated before that I believe that at least a
plurality of resources should be used in the region of the
RIR that provides them.  I am not in favor of ARIN becoming
yet again the one registry to rule them all, no matter what
ring we might forge for John.

Gary