[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Feb 10 12:55:18 EST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Andrew Sullivan
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 12:20 PM
To: arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

Scott:
>> So are you in favor of or opposed to 2014-1

Andrew S.:
>I'm opposed to it, because I just don't buy that it will actually solve
>any problem.  The existing policy neither forbids nor denies out of
>region use.  This proposal tries to codify things, but I don't see why that's necessary.
> In other words, I guess I don't really believe the problem statement.
> I suppose if I did, 2014-1 is all right.

Color me confused. Wearing my AC shepherd hat, and trying to keep track of opposition/support for this proposal, I saw you "agree very strongly" with David Farmer's assertion that

> As the problem statement says, I think the real problem is that policy
> is ambiguous on the subject of out of region use.  Which means there
> are some in the community that think out of region use is outside the
> rules, as you seem to think.  Then others think it is perfectly normal
> and has always been allowed, because its never been disallowed in
> policy.  I think we need to clarify that out of region use was always
> intended to be allowed by policy.

Let me repeat Scott's question in a different way: David Farmer says "we need to clarify that our of region use was always intended to be allowed by policy" and you agreed very strongly with him, and 2014-1 does that. Are you still maintaining that you are opposed to 2014-1?