[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Feb 9 10:18:06 EST 2014

Bill,
What's missing from your argument is a reason why regional exclusivity in the allocation of address blocks is a desirable thing. In other words, when you accuse trans-regional networks of "doing things wrong" I challenge you to support that charge with any basis in ARIN policy that makes what they were doing unambiguously wrong.

Historically, RIRs were not created to enforce regional or territorial exclusivity on a huge number of interconnected networks that are often transregional. They were created to ease access to the allocation process and to facilitate local participation in policy making. If I am distributing widgets and I set up a regional distribution center in Northern Virginia and another in Syracuse, the purpose is to make it easier for people in NoVA and Syracuse to get addresses - NOT to prevent someone who has a network in both places or in other parts of the country from getting widgets from either place.

To be sure, the creation of regional allocation structures creates selfish incentives on the part of certain people in regions who want to protect their access to resources to the exclusion of people in other regions who might need them as much or more, but I do not see any support for that incentive in either the letter or the spirit of ARIN policy.

--MM