[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 7 19:01:10 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Bill Darte <billdarte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill said..."ARIN prohibits any use of ARIN-assigned number resources which
> is:
>
> (A) wholly and unambiguously within another RIR's region and
> (B) more than incidental to an ARIN-region infrastructure."
>
> I think much of our earlier (and unsuccessful) effort was to codify what
> 'incidental' meant and a metric which was suitable for recognizing the
> threshold....

Hi Bill,

Incidental means... incidental. Small. A minor or negligible part of
the whole. The plain English understanding is satisfactory; it doesn't
need to be further codified.

If there's any realistic doubt as to whether a registrant's total
out-region use of ARIN addresses is merely incidental to their
in-region infrastructure then it almost certainly is incidental. This
is consistent with how ARIN staff interpret the rest of the NRPM. And
if you're not sure whether your use is incidental, it's an excellent
time to move to the near side of the gray zone.

The debate to define "incidental" was unsuccessful because it was
absurd. I was flabbergasted by the suggestion that an 80% out-region
use ("plurality" in region) could be merely incidental. That anyone
could advance such a notion beggars belief.

Also, bear in mind that "incidental" is part B. Part A lets you put
addresses on your ptp link from Seattle to Tokyo. It lets you put
addresses on the cruise ship. It lets you put addresses on that LEO
satellite orbiting every two hours. You don't fall in to part B until
your 10,000 employee US-based company wants to network its 50-person
offices in Tokyo, Paris and Cairo. Or the thousand-person office in
London to which ARIN should say, "Whoa! Time you talked to RIPE."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004