[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2014-7

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Feb 6 19:31:03 EST 2014

There is no evidence of real harm for either side of this argument,
there can't be.  The two participant rule is currently in place, and
there is no motivation for abusing the two participant rule just yet.
Since its not been instantiated yet, there is no way the three
participant rule could have harmed anyone, and any abuse of the two
participant rule isn't going to happen until run-out of the general ARIN
IPv4 free pool.  So, there is no way to decide this one based on real
evidence, and it is hyperbole to even ask for such evidence from either
side.

I feel I provided a good argument for the proposal and Rudi provided an
equally good argument against the proposal.  If there are arguments for
or against that haven't been provided, please provide them for the rest
of community to consider.

There seems to be a clear potential for abuse of the two participant
rule after run-out of the general ARIN IPv4 free pool.  Also, there
seems to be a clear potential that changing to three participants will
make it more difficult for some IXPs to get going.

This is clearly a judgement call, I think both arguments have merit and
both have faults.  I think it is fine to come down on either side of
this question.  But, let's try to limit the acrimony and the hyperbole,
the AC needs a clear reading from the community and those things don't help.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952