[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-21: Modification to CI Pool Size per Section 4.4

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Dec 29 21:51:42 EST 2014

On Dec 29, 2014, at 8:42 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com<mailto:hannigan at gmail.com>> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:
On Dec 29, 2014, at 4:41 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com<mailto:hannigan at gmail.com>> wrote:
Curran is inaccurate from my viewpoint. That's the unilateral approach that probably doesn't work for ARIN as a whole. I don't see any of the limits he mentions codified e.g. the NANOG PPCs aren't codified in the PDP.

Martin -

I already noted that per the Policy Development Process, policy discussions
take place on the PPML mailing list and at PPCs.  Regarding where PPCs
occur, please again reference the PPC definition within the Policy Development
Process <https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html> -

"Public Policy Consultation (PPC)

An open public discussion held by ARIN of Internet number resource policy that provides for the contemporaneous interaction and polling of in-person and remote participants. These consultations may be held at ARIN's Public Policy Meetings and at other related forums as approved by the ARIN Board of Trustees.”

Thank for underscoring my point about the lack of clarity.

Actually, it’s quite clearly laid out in the Policy Development Process
[i.e. that the PPML mailing list and Public Policy Consultations (PPC)
are the input to be considered and the definition of what is a PPC],
but do not hesitate to ask if you have any further confusion in this area.

The discussion has transcended OIX and is about ARIN and whether it wants open and transparent internet governance inputs from outside parties that have recognized expertise.

ARIN welcomes input into the policy development process and even has a
structured process for gathering formal input into the policy development via
consultations at other related forums, such as those which have recognized
expertise.  If OIX believes that a Public Policy Consultation at an OIX meeting
is desired, please let me know.

In the meantime, please feel free to have the OIX community express their
view on the PPML mailing list or at a Public Policy Consultations (which occur
presently at ARIN and NANOG meetings) - As I noted before, it’s quite likely
that input on draft policies from the OIX would be rather influential in the
development of address policies related to data center and exchange point
environments.

Please take a look at Dr. Muellers comments. They may be helpful to you.

I reviewed the comments quite carefully, and I believe that Milton made quite
clear how he would consider such comments when determining community
support.   Each AC member weights the question of community support when
deciding to recommend a policy change, based on their best understanding
of the discussion on PPML mailing list and at the Public Policy Consultations.
Milton also indicated that that is it extremely important and useful when people
bring relevant views from other communities, and as I’ve noted several times,
I do agree that such views are likely to be influential in the policy development
process, but only to the extant that they are brought into the policy discussion.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO