[arin-ppml] 2014-14, was Internet Fairness

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Wed Dec 24 12:05:33 EST 2014

I also oppose. John Santos sums up the big points with which I agree:

----- On Dec 24, 2014, at 1:00 AM, John Santos JOHN at egh.com wrote:

> Oppose 2014-14
>
> 1) /16 is not "small"

Agreed. Even by ARIN definition it is "medium" :-)

> 2) The problem the proposal purports to solve hasn't actually been
>   demonstrated.  "ARIN staff [...] is spending scarce staff time on needs
>   testing of small transfers."  Obviously, doing the necessary checking
>   requires staff time, but is it a significant amount?  Is it taking much
>   longer than it used to?  Is it costing ARIN a lot of money in staff
>   wages and overhead to do these assessments, or is it lost in the noise?

I have not heard or seen any data to support the "ARIN staff is too burdened" argument, other than there being a slightly longer processing time for IPv4 requests, which I am completely fine with. IPv6 requests have been pretty speedy for me.

-Randy