[arin-ppml] Term Limit Proposal

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 20:38:09 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:21 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
> > Change for change's sake is rarely for the better. Stability is

Agreed.

>  > usually a good thing. I don't see rotating out AC members having a
> > negative impact on ARIN's overall stability. Frequent turnover on the
> > board, however...

I believe "term limits" to the AC currently to be a solution in search of a
problem.
The exact benefits are vague and poorly explained.

The idea of term limits would seem to be a net negative, due to all the
time waste that would be involved in implementing them, and the additional
complexity imposed upon future selection of the AC by the community:   with
voters/members possibly being deprived of the best possible choices for the
selection of the AC.

> As far as term limits go, there are a multitude of organizations that
> use them and suffer little from it including federal, state and
> municipal governments, non profts like the Appalachian Mountain Club,
> NANOG, and many others.

These are much larger entities.   There are a large number of people who
could serve on the board of a non-profit or governmental entity.

There are few who are even sufficiently familiar with the NRPM and
technical issues surrounding IP addressing policy  to do the AC's job..

> There are a variety of problems term limits may help with including
> the self perpetuation concern, under representation (only a fraction
> of resource holders are actually "represented" and stagnation (Gov
> term limit task and PDP Simplification Committee). Term limits would
> likely resolve or soften some worthwhile problems.

If you could drop "concern" from the statement, and then explain how each
of these has become a real problem with the AC,   then you would  possibly
have a reasonable argument for term limits.

> Why is ARIN different than all of these other venerable organizations?

They are not ARIN.      Many governmental, commercial, and non-profit
organizations take on their activities in a manner that would not
necessarily be appropriate for ARIN.

Certainly "term limits" has not been shown to be something that makes those
organizations venerable.

Meanwhile, ARIN itself is a venerable organization with no term limits
really needed thus far.

> Best
> -M<
>
> --