[arin-ppml] 2600::/12 LOA

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:58:07 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:52 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>>> If I understand this correctly, Matthew suggested that an update to
>>> Section 11 would be more useful? If that's the case I agree. It would
>>> require a few, simple, modifications.
>>
>> I think his suggestion to make use of NRPM 11 for this purpose is quite
>> excellent.   It was not process that we used in the past, but shall be
>> done that way going forward.   To the extent that the community wishes
>> to improve NRPM 11 policy text for this purpose of address space testing,
>> that is also welcome.
>>
>>> Why would ARIN ever need to issue an LOA if whatever is distributed is
>>> in the registry? All the LOA responsibilities if even needed at that
>>> point would fall to the registrant.
>>
>> Agreed; that is the major benefit of taking an "NRPM 11" approach to address
>> space testing - ARIN stays focused on being a registry and leaves the use of
>> address space to registrants.  Since registrants are unique for a given address
>> block, we also preempt multiple parties with potentially conflict plans on the
>> use (or routing) of any given portion of address space.
>>

> Yes, I agree. This is the preferable route.
>
> Best,
>
> -M<

To add to this, it appears that we can condense most of the hand
waving down to a modification in Section 11.4 that adds to the end of
the paragraph "All resource assignments will be registered in the ARIN
WHOIS database and in a manner not conflicting with any other
registrations". Or any other language that would accomplish the same
thing.

We ought not to specifically restrict ARIN from writing an LOA. There
may be a circumstance where it is necessary and fully legitimate.
Admittedly, the instances where it would be needed would be corner
cases, but operators in the AP region, for example, are very strict
and I've had some strange reasons for writing LOA for my own prefixes.
It may also interfere with the encumbrance testing that John
mentioned. I suspect there are also some other tricky authority
questions.

This sounds like a legitimate error to me so this should be enough to
instill a codified message that we want registrations and self
service. Anything else needs more attention.

Best,

-M<