[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 27 19:17:00 EDT 2013

David and PPML,

The core issue is "should ARIN provide number resources to networks whose customers and users are exclusively outside the ARIN service region?" The genesis of the question is borne of a staff report that Chinese hosting companies are using routing tricks to number their customers in China with ARIN addresses. Moreover, the amount of space being allocated to Chinese companies is highly significant.

The policy proposal on the table offers one mechanism to answer, "No" to this question.  Lost in the PPML debate so far (from my perspective) is the core question above.

As ARIN-region operators, are you ok with what's left in ARIN's inventory going to networks who are, for all intents and purposes, in China?

With regards,
David Huberman

Sent using OWA for iPhone
That means I'm mobile so please forgive typos and odd words.