[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Sep 27 19:06:41 EDT 2013

Owen,

On Sep 27, 2013, at 7:39 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Of the RIRs with space remaining, ARIN is unique: they will allocate to anyone legally registered in the ARIN region regardless of where the network will be operated. While this is ... friendly, it obviously implies the remaining ARIN free pool is going to be drained at a higher rate than it would be otherwise. I'm a bit skeptical ISPs in the ARIN region are so sanguine about running out of IPv4 addresses earlier than they would otherwise because ISPs in Asia & Europe are drawing on ARIN's free pool.
>
> All of the RIRs have space remaining. Some of them have restrictions on how one can obtain their remaining IPv4 space and a very limited supply of IPv4, but all of the RIRs have plenty of IPv6 available and they all have ASNs available.

Um. Seriously?

Do you honestly think there is anyone on this list who is unfamiliar with the last /8 policies of the other RIRs or the fact that APNIC and RIPE have entered their last /8 phases?

This kind of pedantic nitpicking is why I gave up on PPML years ago.

I don't suppose it'd be possible to focus on the actual issues associated with this policy?

Regards,
-drc