[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Sep 17 12:44:18 EDT 2013

On 9/17/13 11:11 , John Curran wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you clarify if this policy only applies
>> to *new* requests, or if it is meant to apply
>> to *all* number resources requested from
>> ARIN?
>
> In general, ARIN does not apply new policies to blocks already issued.
>
> We are capable of applying new policies to previously issued address
> blocks, but such changes should be very carefully considered due to
> potential implications (and actual application to any given block may be
> constrained by the terms and conditions with the applicable registration
> service agreement.)  Examples of where new policies have been applied
> to existing blocks are generally proposals clearly expressed as registry
> wide, e.g. addition of the abuse contact, point-of-contact validation, etc;
> ARIN staff otherwise interprets the policy as applicable to new blocks
> as they are being issued.
>
> FYI,
> /John

I'll add that previously in the thread I said "For an abundance of
clarity I'd be happy to add something like the following in the Advisory
Council Comments section before the text freeze;"

"This policy is not intended to have any retroactive effect.  It should
not be construed to effect or invalidate any assignment or allocation
previously made by ARIN, one of its predecessor registries, or any ISP
or other LIR, based on good faith application information.  In
particular direct assignments previously made to individuals are not
invalidated by this policy.  However, this policy is intended to
disallow any new assignment or allocation made directly to an individual
person, as is current operational practice."

Additionally, Advisory Council Comments section, says the following;

"Previous discussions of the topic indicated that it is difficult to
enforce and undesirable for many in the community to dictate where
resources are to be used once they are allocated. A strategy to deal
with this is to focus the policy on the technical infrastructure and
customers used to justify the requested number resources from ARIN, as
opposed to where resources are actually used once allocated. This is a
subtle but important distinction."

"The intent is not to require an organization to have an overall
plurality of its technical infrastructure and customers within the ARIN
service region. Rather, it is to ensure that the plurality of currently
requested resources is justified from within the ARIN region. If an
organization¹s primary, or largest, demand for resources is in another
region then the organization should request resources from that region's
RIR."

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952