[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Sep 17 12:11:34 EDT 2013

On Sep 17, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

> Can you clarify if this policy only applies
> to *new* requests, or if it is meant to apply
> to *all* number resources requested from
> ARIN?

In general, ARIN does not apply new policies to blocks already issued.

We are capable of applying new policies to previously issued address
blocks, but such changes should be very carefully considered due to
potential implications (and actual application to any given block may be
constrained by the terms and conditions with the applicable registration
service agreement.)  Examples of where new policies have been applied
to existing blocks are generally proposals clearly expressed as registry
wide, e.g. addition of the abuse contact, point-of-contact validation, etc;
ARIN staff otherwise interprets the policy as applicable to new blocks
as they are being issued.

FYI,
/John

John Curran