[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 13 17:13:39 EDT 2013

On Sep 13, 2013, at 3:54 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> It is ARIN's practice to assign number resources to organizations,
>> not individuals.
>
> That's me, Mr. Outlier.

>> At a minimum, NRPM 2.6 ("End-user" definition) would need to be
>> changed to recognize IP address assignments to individuals -
>>
>> "2.6 An end-user is an organization receiving assignments of IP
>>     addresses exclusively for use in its operational networks."
>
> An organization is some number of people acting on concert towards a
> common goal. One is an acceptable number. Given Citizens United and
> the history of similar rulings, I'm pretty sure I can make that claim
> stick.
>
> Besides which, I presume ARIN doesn't refuse to do business with sole
> proprietorships. A sole proprietorship has no legal existence separate
> from the single individual who owns it. With minor exceptions (Bob's
> Bait and Tackle can't get married or adopt children) a proprietorship
> is legally synonymous with its owner.
>
> What else ya got? :)

Bill -

 We have no problem dealing with sole proprietorships; they are
 organizations and can receive assignments.  Note that the number
 resources are still assigned in such cases to the organization
 (i.e. in the name of the sole proprietorship) not the individual.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO