[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 13 15:54:37 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> It is ARIN's practice to assign number resources to organizations,
> not individuals.

That's me, Mr. Outlier.

>> On Sep 13, 2013, at 11:59 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> More importantly: why not?
>
> At a minimum, NRPM 2.6 ("End-user" definition) would need to be
> changed to recognize IP address assignments to individuals -
>
> "2.6 An end-user is an organization receiving assignments of IP
>      addresses exclusively for use in its operational networks."

An organization is some number of people acting on concert towards a
common goal. One is an acceptable number. Given Citizens United and
the history of similar rulings, I'm pretty sure I can make that claim
stick.

Besides which, I presume ARIN doesn't refuse to do business with sole
proprietorships. A sole proprietorship has no legal existence separate
from the single individual who owns it. With minor exceptions (Bob's
Bait and Tackle can't get married or adopt children) a proprietorship
is legally synonymous with its owner.

What else ya got? :)

Regards,
Bill Herrin