[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Sep 13 10:27:17 EDT 2013

On 9/12/13 21:41 , David Farmer wrote:
> On 9/12/13 13:19 , William Herrin wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>>> X. Resource Justification within ARIN Region
>>> Organizations requesting Internet number resources from ARIN must
>>> provide proof that they (1) are an active business entity legally
>>> operating within the ARIN service region, and
>>
>> I am not an active business entity, hence my AS number registration
>> (AS 11875), used for multihomed network entirely in the U.S. State of
>> Virginia would violate this policy as drafted.
>>
>> I tend to think of that as a bad thing.
>
> I don't believe individuals (as an individual person) are allowed to
> request resources any longer.  A business could be a sole
> proprietorship, and in every day terms there isn't that much difference,
> but legally there is I believe.
>
> But, your historical individual assignment isn't intended to be in
> violation of this policy.  The policy is intended to apply to requesting
> (new or additional) resources.  Just as it is intended to apply to how
> you justify resources, not how you use them in your network once
> allocated or assigned.

Thinking about this a little more, this policy is not intended to be an
ex post facto rule, nor in general do I think it is appropriate for any
policy to have retroactive effect without some extraordinary reason and
justification for such an effect.  Furthermore, I don't think ARIN staff
would consider any policy to have retroactive effect without very
explicit direction from the community that a policy should have such an
effect, and calling that out in the staff and legal review.

For an abundance of clarity I'd be happy to add something like the
following in the Advisory Council Comments section before the text freeze;

This policy is not intended to have any retroactive effect.  It should
not be construed to effect or invalidate any assignment or allocation
previously made by ARIN, one of its predecessor registries, or any ISP
or other LIR, based on good faith application information.  In
particular direct assignments previously made to individuals are not
invalidated by this policy.  However, this policy is intended to
disallow any new assignment or allocation made directly to an individual
person, as is current operational practice.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952