[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Sep 12 22:41:34 EDT 2013

On 9/12/13 13:19 , William Herrin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> X. Resource Justification within ARIN Region
>> Organizations requesting Internet number resources from ARIN must
>> provide proof that they (1) are an active business entity legally
>> operating within the ARIN service region, and
>
> I am not an active business entity, hence my AS number registration
> (AS 11875), used for multihomed network entirely in the U.S. State of
> Virginia would violate this policy as drafted.
>
> I tend to think of that as a bad thing.

I don't believe individuals (as an individual person) are allowed to
request resources any longer.  A business could be a sole
proprietorship, and in every day terms there isn't that much difference,
but legally there is I believe.

But, your historical individual assignment isn't intended to be in
violation of this policy.  The policy is intended to apply to requesting
(new or additional) resources.  Just as it is intended to apply to how
you justify resources, not how you use them in your network once
allocated or assigned.

See the 3rd paragraph of the Advisory Council comments in the email of
the policy or the 4th paragraph on the web page.  In the email the white
space between the 1st and 2nd paragraphs got removed making them look
like one big paragraph, its right on the web page.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952