[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Oct 6 08:38:14 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:53 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>> Since June 2013, there have been 52 requests that would not have
>>> been approved under the new policy because these organizations
>>> had only some equipment in a data center in the ARIN region, but
>>> either all or most of their technical infrastructure outside of the region
>>> and most or all of their customers outside of the ARIN region.
>>>
>>> Total amount of space issued to these 52 organizations:   9,672 /24s,
>>> (which is a bit more than a /11 in total) and nearly all organizations were based in the APNIC region.
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I notice from Frank Bulk's thread that ARIN has instituted a change in
>> procedure for address allocation related to in-region use. Were the
>> new procedures in place, how would that have impacted the 52 requests
>> you reference?
>
> Bill -
>
>   ARIN's procedures for requesters has not changed since the Policy
>   Implementation and Experience Report addressing this topic (at the
>   ARIN 31 meeting in Bridgetown); hence, the 52 requests would still
>   be processed.  As noted earlier to Frank, I believe that the text
>   sent in response should be reviewed, and we will do so upon the
>   disposition of Draft Policy 2013-6, regardless of outcome.

Hi John,

To be clear, ARIN sent the following text (as quoted by Frank) to the
above 52 requestors and they replied in the affirmative?

        Please reply and verify that you will be using
        the requested number resources within the ARIN region
        and announcing all routing prefixes of the requested
        space from within the ARIN region. In accordance with
        section 2.2 of the NRPM, ARIN issues number resources
        only for use within its region. ARIN is therefore only
        able to provide for your in-region numbering needs.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004