[arin-ppml] Statistics request regarding new entrants (was: Re: Stats request)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 27 10:17:52 EST 2013

On Nov 27, 2013, at 8:54 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Thank you for these stats.
> Numbers always cause more questions.
>
> John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> 682 assignments 2013 YTD, 584 (86%) to new entrants
>> 10,353 /24s issued in assignments 2013 YTD, 6,475 /24s (63%) to new
>> entrants
>
> I'm understanding the term /24s here to be a gauge of quantity,
> I think that most of the /24s were in fact given out in the form of /22s and
> /21s and /20s...?

For ISPs, that is very likely the case (due to policy.)  Note this highlights
the potential issue for new ISP requesters, in that it is going to become (or
is becoming) increasingly difficult to qualify if upstreams do not provide
sufficient PA IPv4 space to smaller ISPs such that they can qualify for a
direct ARIN allocation later.

> Is it easy to understand how many of the new-entrants asked for IPv6 space?

That's not readily apparent, but the number of IPv6 allocations to ISPs in total
so far this year is 237 <https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/index.html>
so it cannot be more than about 60% of new requesters along requesting IPv6.

> What is the distribution of allocation sizes new-entrants?

We can generate this is necessary; the mean is approximately  14 /24 equivalents
per new requester.

> How did they qualify?   I would assume most had demonstrated exhaustion of
> PA space they got from their upstream.

Correct - this is required as part of initial ISP allocations.

> After a new-entrant returns their PA space upstream, does ARIN have any
> statistics (from delegation records) on what happens to that address space
> afterwards?  Does upstream ISP deploy it to new customers? How fast?
> Or does upstream ISP tend to use it for internal uses?  Do upstream ISPs keep
> it quiet for a cool-down period?

ARIN has no visibility into any of the above, and note that per NRPM 4.2.2,
standard ISP allocations are not required to return their blocks from their
upstream ISP (those receiving under multihomed policy are required to return)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO